Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mini-Series Post #3: A Culture that Encourages Responsibility

Perhaps one of the most interesting differences I have noticed during my time in Seoul includes Korean culture's efforts to encourage social and personal responsibility.  For example, in almost every building I have been inside, various receptacles for plastic, paper, aluminum, and waste orderly sit beside one another.
Separate receptacles on each floor of the dorm. 
Obviously, I can't read the Korean, but I just look inside to see where I'm supposed to put things.  To see such a collective ecological effort is so refreshing!  As I walk down the street, I see shopkeepers everywhere sorting through waste and recyclable materials.  Even at fast food restaurants, there are separate receptacles for all of the waste.  To many Americans, this may seem tedious; however, I think it is absolutely fabulous.  I try to recycle at school, but sometimes, I throw a can in the garbage, thinking, "how far does one person's effort actually go?"  Seeing Korea's recycling effort has reinvigorated my desire to save the planet, one pop can at a time.

In addition to social responsibility, Korea encourages personal responsibility by publicly displaying the calorie counts on the menus of many fast food restaurants!  I was shocked to see this for the first time and I can't believe we have not done this in the United States, since obesity is such a huge issue.  Let's face it, not many Americans go to a website to find additional nutrition information and calorie counts.  With the calories staring back at you while you observe the menu at MacDonald's, wouldn't you feel a little guilty eating a Big Mac?  I know I would never step foot in a fast food restaurant again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment