Monday, July 11, 2011

Mini-Series Post #5: Stereotypes & Perspectives

Today was another slow day of class.  It's so hard to sit inside for six hours when there are so many things I still want to do while I'm here!  Luckily, tomorrow is Tuesday, and we don't have classes on Wednesdays.  Many of us plan to try the unstrained rice wine tomorrow, called makkoli.  This is a drink that goes well with bindaedduk, or mung-bean pancake.  Rice wine has a much lower alcohol content than soju, the vodka-like equivalent in Korea, and is a milky color.  I can't wait to try it!  After that, we will likely go to the clubs in Hongdae - I still have yet to do this!  On Wednesday, we have a field trip to the Hyundai Motor Factory and another trip to Insadong.


On Saturday night, a few friends and I went out for drinks at a local bar.  We went out with a guy from the Netherlands and his friend, who has been living in Seoul for three years.  Eventually, we got to talking about stereotypes.  I asked them for the American stereotype:  "Be completely honest - I'm sure I've heard what you're going to say," I said.  They were hesitant at first, obviously not wanting to offend us.  This, of course, peaked our curiosity.  


Basically, the stereotypes of Americans they were accustomed to included the image of the "ignorant American," who knows nothing about the world beyond American borders.  I couldn't help but somewhat agree - it amazes me how little some people know about the world.  They also mentioned that some stereotypes include Americans as selfish and rude in foreign countries.  The guy who has lived here for three years, Raul, showed us a picture on his phone of a "no admittance" sign for U.S. Army members at a bar in Seoul.  "They think they own the place," he said.  "They are destructive and rude and think they are allowed to act that way here.  In my experience, they are not well liked here."  This was really embarrassing for me.  U.S. Army members acting so awful that they are banned from certain restaurants and bars?  Really, all I can do in those situations is remember that I am doing my part as a "global citizen" - I am genuinely interested in other countries and open to different perspectives.  That's really all I can do - worry about myself and how I act when I'm abroad.  


Other instances during which I felt embarrassed while I've been here include moments in class when we discuss the countries we've been to and the languages we speak.  Other students are fluent in two, three, and four languages! I speak English and could get around a Spanish-speaking country.  I've been to one other country.  These students have been all over the world - a trip to Seoul was not monumental, but instead, another stamp in their passports.  I guess I shouldn't feel embarrassed about that - I am a good student, I try hard and I'm involved.  Still, to know that others are such better "global citizens" than me is somewhat unsettling!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about! I've only been here a few days but we were warned that the popular stereotype for Americans is that they are arrogant and loud. Shamefaced indeed!

    ReplyDelete